Friday, June 11, 2010

BLOG #1

When the class was assigned to read these chapters I was confused. I have heard what “rhetoric” and “genres” were but could not remember their meanings. All I knew was that these words had to do with writing. It was until I started to read the chapters that I knew what the authors were talking about, but at the same time I was learning new information. For example, the purpose, audience, genre, stance, and media/design are part of the rhetorical situations. Basically, when writing a paper the writer has to take into consideration all these elements for the reader to understand their text. As I kept on reading I came across the word stance. According to Richard Bullock and Maureen Daly Goggin, this means how the writer feels about the topic chosen.
When I thought how I would use these aspects in my writing, I thought that was an interested question. Therefore, I would use all of these elements in my writing, because they all play a big part on the writing process. Think about it without a purpose or a point my writing would not make sense. If there is no stance how one would expect the reader to feel what one feels about the topic. Of course, the writer has to target an audience whether it’s teens or adults. Then there is the genre, what kind of or writing one is going to use. One uses these elements in order for their writing to make sense.
When I first saw these concepts, I thought they were hard. As soon as began reading it was like a light shined on me. It was interesting because I knew what the reading was saying. It was sort of hard because I would not understand some texts and I would have to re-read the section again. Well it was time consuming, but overall the reading was informative. I learned new words and their meaning plus information that is new to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment